Monday, September 1, 2014

September Currently

Thank goodness it's September y'all! I'm hoping that means we are getting closer to cooler weather. We've been pretty lucky here in my part of Texas. Most of the summer we didn't have temperatures over 100. That NEVER happens. But now those high temperatures are here and we bake at recess.

I love Farley's Currently linky! I love hearing a little about the person behind the blog. She also had a Currently for the Classroom which is FABULOUS all on its own, but also really really FABULOUS if you are doing buddy readers or something with another class. Makes for a great conversation starter between partners.
 photo currentlysept006_zps517e633c.jpg

LISTENING: We are having some bedrooms painted next week and my husband is taking off all the face plates to outlets and phone jacks. 

LOVING: My Erin Condren Life Planner. For those who don't know I'm pregnant and due on October 31. It's true what they say- there is pregnancy brain. If it weren't for my Life Planner I would forget EVERYTHING. I've put every appointment, staff meeting, even things like PICK UP CAT FOOD in my Life Planner. Love it! Plus, how do you not love something monogrammed?!

THINKING: Why on Earth does the school day begin so early?! Kids can start coming to our class at 7:35. The tardy bell rings at 7:45. We actually begin our day at 8:00 after morning announcements. I would much rather not have to be there until 7:45 and have the kids come down at 8:00. An extra ten minutes would make a world of difference. (Our school day ends at 2:55. Teachers can leave at 4:00) I live 30 minutes from my school and it's worth the drive because our principal is INCREDIBLE, BUT that means I'm leaving at 6:45ish every morning. That makes for a long day!

WANTING: Regular desks back in my room. {SIGH}
This summer I went to iPadpalooza and got to see some really awesome modern furniture for the classroom. I also read this book called The Third Teacher. It's such a fun read about how our classroom design and set up changes how students learn. They feature very cool furniture inside.

Anyway I spent a lot of time this summer looking at modern furniture from Shift + and Steelcase and a few other places. I loved that the furniture I was looking at made the most of a small space, wasn't oversized, and allowed for lots of collaboration. So when I was asked to pilot possible new furniture for our future elementary school I was THRILLED!!

Long story short. My furniture arrived Friday before school started. I realize I've only given it a week but THUMBS DOWN. It's from a company I've never heard of. The shapes of the desks are trapezoids which only allows for semi circle and circle arrangements. (I can't have half my class with their back to the board). They are on wheels which is great. But they are so big that the 24 desks take up almost my whole classroom. I got rid of my carpet and our meeting area is so small I can hardly get my kiddos to fit. I want my regular desks back. This is NOT the furniture we should order for the new elementary. Maybe, just maybe, teachers should have a little input before we purchase furniture. After all, we are the ones using it and teaching with it. 
{Stepping down off soap box now}

NEEDING: Listen y'all, the heat is stupid hot. Even though I'm taking it easy and sitting down as much as I can my feet and ankles get super swollen at recess. Come on cold front!!

3 TRIPS: This was so hard! I could only really think of two places. I have heard Yellowstone National Park is gorgeous. I would love to go there and do a little hiking, see some wildlife, etc. I would also love to go to Italy in part because it would be a great excuse to eat like a maniac and drink lots of wine. I've also had friends go and come back raving about what a wonderful time they have had.

I can't wait to read what everyone else has written. Maybe I can figure out where my third place to visit would be!



17 comments:

  1. I feel your pain, but in the opposite way! We are a late start and kids don't start until 9:40! I wish we started earlier!

    Kimberly Ann
    Live, Laugh, I love Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is a long day! We don't have to be there until 8:40 and get out at 4:10. I usually get there at 7:50 to get ready. I have a 20 min drive.
    Kelly
    MyFabulousClass

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got my first Erin Condren notebook this school year too, and I love it as well! I don't have any kids yet, but my sister always talked about pregnancy brain, hahha! :-) Glad you can keep it organized with a beautiful planner!
    also, bummer about those desks. Our professional development room has really funky furniture, so I know what you're staying about the room organization! I totally want to check out that book you referenced!
    Happy September!
    Michelle
    BigTime Literacy

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is has super hot here too! We don't have a/c in our building so we have had a couple days where we had early out heat dismissals. My poor little kinder babies have been having a hard time concentrating with all this heat!

    My son was born on November 1st and I was convinced he would end up being a Halloween baby. He loves that it is Halloween and the next day is his birthday. It's like two days of celebrating him....lol.

    Amanda
    Mrs. Pauley’s Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  5. This same desk situation happened at my school in 4th grade. They do co-teaching and cooperative learning in 4th and have always had tables. When they got new tables this year they ordered these pie piece shaped desks that fit together. The idea was that they could be flipped around any which way. However, they are HUGE and take up lots of space. The teachers have made it work, but because of that situation, I totally understand your point. :) Good luck with that this year!

    Meredith
    Creativity to the Core

    ReplyDelete
  6. Italy is on my vacation dream list, too! I hear to food is amazing! I have always had desks over the years. One year I had those old fashion wooden style desks where it was one piece and the desktop was so small. Not to mention it was impossible to sit kids in groups. My classroom was a U shape all year! I think teachers should design classroom furniture!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i LOVE my life planner!! It is a must have!! Good luck surviving your heat :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I got my first Erin Condren Life Planner this year too and I love it! I totally understand what you are feeling with the swollen feet. It was horrible when I was pregnant. By the end the only shoes that fit me were a pair of ugly Birkenstocks and even those left horrible strap marks on my feet by the end of the day...oy! Italy is on my list as well...someday. Good luck with your new furniture, they should consult the teachers first.

    ~Laura
    Luv My Kinders

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, you have a long day! Our students are in school 7:50-1:50...it's hard in the mornings but I like having my afternoons with my own kiddos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Our classes start at 7:50 and the students can come into our rooms starting at 7:40. Teachers officially start at 7:30 so 10 min before they come is not enough time to get ready. Students leave at 3:15 and our teacher day ends at 3:30. So 10 min before 15 min after and a 45 min prep period leaves very little prep time in a day! I am planning on ordering an Emily Ley planner this year, but it won't start until 2015. I can't wait to get my hands on it! Have a great school year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I DESPISE trapizod desks! I had them one year and almost threw them all out the window, although they were too heavy for me to actually do that. Those are the LEAST helpful desks. I am so sorry you got stuck with them. I hope they take them back & give you something much better!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE YOU!!!! I got rid of my teacher desks this year too... I am using round tables and one rectangle table... problem is... it fits 20 perfectly... I HAVE 21!!! and I am the next in line to get another kiddo... OK let's talk about if you have that baby on Halloween... I have 2 really good friends that have that birthday and can I just tell you they have the BEST parties... so FUN!!!! always a costume party!!! LOVE TO YOU and little one!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ok should say students' desks... I still have my teacher desk... HA HA HA it has been a a very very long weekend!!!

      Delete
  13. I hate that your new furniture is being such a pain! I love my trapezoid tables, but I can see how they can get in the way!

    Since everyone wants to go to Italy on their currentlys(me included), I say that we should convince SDE to move their conference there so that all us teachers can go together!

    -Sarah
    A Rocky Top Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  14. Let's go to Italy once that baby is here :)
    AJT to Italy.
    Let's get together soon, like next weekend or something!
    I want to hear more about this furniture business!
    <3 Cassie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Girl! I know it's hot but I have baby weight to loose!!! And my feet started swelling the last month of my pregnancy. I understand your pain/annoyance! And Italy?...GO! Just don't go when you are pregnant. I was sick while there and that was totally no fun at all!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes, it is SO hot. We haven't been able to take our kids out here in Atlanta because of the heat index making it feel even hotter than it really is. By 12:30 yesterday when my ESOL teacher came in I was taking off every piece of jewelry I had on, I just couldn't take it, so I can't imagine being pregnant. Good luck. I hope you figure out the furniture too. I switched to only tables this year and I regret it sometimes when I need to separate some.
    - Sydney
    Lessons Learned

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...